Every home has air vents in it and sometimes, those air vents can be an eye sore. If your home has baseboard return air grilles throughout, chances are they’re not especially attractive. At Duct Dudes, we’ve come up with a few cheap, DIY ways you can make your air vents more appealing to the eye!
DIY Doormat Air Vent Cover
- Choose a doormat (yes, you read that correctly) with a cutout design you like.
- Choose a spray paint; we suggest picking one with a metallic look, like copper.
- Spray paint the doormat and once it’s dried, hang it over the air vent with two nails at the top so that it hangs down.
- Voila! You’ve got a chic vent cover that cost you less than $20! Vent covers can go for over $500, so this is a great way to get the same aesthetic for way less!
Sheet Metal Air Vent Cover
- Measure the vent then visit the hardware store of your choice – we recommend Home Depot or Lowe’s, and purchase some sheet metal; pick out the pattern you like best.
- While you’re there, grab some paint for painting the sheet metal, and some pine to frame the vent.
- Once you’re back home, measure the area of the air vent and cut the sheet metal to the correct size.
- Now that your future vent cover is cut, paint it the color of your choice; we suggest resting the sheet metal on some construction paper and using a foam roller to paint it.
- Be sure to remove the metal from the paper as soon as you’re done painting it and place it on some scrap wood to dry; otherwise, you’ll be faced with the hassle of picking off little pieces of paper from the dried paint.
- Now that the metal is dry, it’s time for the woodwork; Frame the pine around the sheet metal and attach it to the wall with caulk and drywall.
- Sand it so that it’s smooth, paint it the color of your choice, and you’ve now become the owner of a home with exquisitely styled air vents!
Of course, before your start your home’s air vent renovation, you’ll want to get your air vents clean. At Duct Dudes, we can help you with that task; in fact, we’re the #1 air duct cleaning company in New Jersey! Why get your home’s vents cleaned? Well, other than the obviously unsightly dust you see around the vent grille, clogged air vents are also home to mold and bacteria that can be harmful to your family. Our mission is to minimize those risks and ensure a clean environment for our customers.
To learn more about NJ air vent cleaning and how you can make your air vents look pretty, give us a call at (866) DUDE-911.